Monday, January 26, 2015

I learned what *esophageal atresia was the day Sweets was born

Monday, January 26, 2015
My water broke on my car ride home from work. I was on the beltway when I felt the first trickle. I passed a couple of toll booths before I felt more trickles. I called my husband and put on my emergency lights. I prayed to G-d over and over to get me home safe. Thankfully, I made it. As soon as I stepped out of the car, my water gave way all over the driveway.  It was amazing and scary. We gathered our things and we were off … when we arrived at the hospital; the ultrasound showed that Olivia's arm was blocking her way out of the birth canal. My doctor said we had to do a c-section. 

Olivia was born Monday, Sept 15, 2014 at 7:44 p.m. She was 5lbs and 18 inches. Upon delivery, Olivia's right arm (humerus bone) was broken. A few hours later the doctors found out she was suffering from tracheoesophageal fistula, a form of *esophageal atresia. This means that her upper esophagus ended and did not connect with her lower esophagus and stomach. The lower esophagus connected to her windpipe instead. Without surgery, Olivia would not be able to eat. I had a healthy pregnancy. Nothing ever indicated that there was an issue with the baby. My anxiety levels spiked. I was nauseous. I was scared. My itty bitty girl had to have surgery.

Once Olivia was stable, her arm was placed in a splint. She was scheduled for emergency surgery the very next day to repair her esophagus. The doctors felt her surgery was successful since they were able to pair up the top and bottom portions of her esophagus. We were told that only time will tell if she will ever need future repairs.

Olivia was in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive-Care Unit) recovering for three weeks. She was placed on a feeding tube to provide her nutrition until she could try breast milk from a bottle. Olivia had to learn how to swallow like a normal baby before she could be released. I pumped like crazy from day one. I was literally only producing drops of milk. I felt ashamed but determined. My body was not doing what I wanted it to do. I was trying to stock pile my milk for my little girl. Despite only drops I kept pumping and pumping. Into the second week of her NICU stay Olivia was allowed breast milk. She was given CCs to start. She gobbled it up. And wanted more! 

Each day the doctors increased her breast milk intake. And each day she ate so well. Within days she was off the feeding tube and drinking fully from a bottle. I wept every time I fed her. My girl was a fighter. When Olivia devoured 3 ounces of breast milk from her feedings with no obstruction the doctors allowed her to go home.

To date, her feedings have been going well. She even prefers to breast feed. I was so worried she wouldn't take the breast from being bottle fed, but she did! She’s gaining weight and loving everything about life. 

*Below is an explanation of esophageal atresia.





No comments:

Post a Comment

SAGE LANE © 2014